Telehealth services introduced in response to COVID-19 will remain as part of the health care landscape in Australia.
Please note that it is a legislative requirement that GPs can only perform Telehealth consultations under Medicare where the patient has an existing relationship with their GP. This is defined as having a face-to-face appointment with your GP or your GPs practice in the past 12 months. There are limited exemptions to this requirement. If you do not meet the criteria for a Medicare funded Telehealth appointment, we can offer a privately billed Telehealth consultation.
It is best if you can use video for Telehealth, but phone Telehealth is available when video is not possible. We have found that practice makes perfect when it comes to video Telehealth.
Please remember Telehealth is not JUST a phone call or video call and it does not replace the need for those essential appointments where it is necessary to have a face-to-face consultation or examination. Health care by Telehealth will only be provided if clinically appropriate and safe. At your Telehealth consult your GP may recommend a face-to-face consultation.
Tips for getting the most from your Telehealth Appointment:
- Allocate the time to the appointment as you would when attending the medical centre.
- Be in a quiet, confidential space where you can remain focused, and your confidentiality is ensured.
- Know what time your appointment is with your doctor. If you miss your Telehealth appointment you will need to reschedule and a missed appointment fee will apply.
- For Telehealth video consultations you will receive a text message around the time of your appointment. Follow the prompts to connect to your consultation.
- Where possible prior to your appointment, take your blood pressure, your temperature, check your pulse, your weight or anything else that will be relevant to the consultation.
- We take your health care seriously and want to provide you with the best possible care during your Telehealth consultation.
Your doctor will conduct the telehealth consult from the privacy of the consult room. Just as you would take a family member to a face-to-face consultation you can also have a family member present at your Telehealth consult. Please advise your doctor of this at the time of your appointment.
If you would like to book a Telehealth appointment via phone or video, please speak with our reception team member when you are making your next appointment or alternatively you can book online.