Important Information About Care Plans
Care plans are also known as chronic disease management plans, GP management plans or team care arrangements. Chronic disease management plan appointments at QMSC are bulk-billed (no out of pocket gap) for ALL patients.
What You Need To Know:
- Care Plans must be with your regular treating GP
- You must have at least one chronic health condition that has lasted more than 6 months (or is likely to last more than 6 months)
- Medicare does not allow your GP to claim Medicare rebates for your care plan and other matters on the same day.
- You may also be eligible for Medicare rebates for up to 5 allied health services per year eg dietician, diabetes educator, physiotherapy or podiatry. This is called team care arrangements. Your GP is responsible to make sure these referrals meet Medicare eligibility.
- If any changes are needed to your allied health professional referrals, you will need to make a follow up appointment to discuss this with your GP and arrange new referrals if appropriate.
- You and your GP should review your plan regularly. Medicare allows one review every 3 months.
- With more complex chronic health conditions, a nurse may also assist your doctor with your care plan reviews.
- If you have any questions about GP management plans or team care arrangements under Medicare, please discuss it with your regular GP.